Carole E. Reagan
Carole E. Reagan’s practice focuses on intellectual property and complex commercial litigation. She has successfully represented business clients across a diverse array of industries, as well as prominent individual clients, in trademark, trade secret, and copyright litigation, consumer class actions, contract and real estate disputes, and unfair competition, breach of fiduciary duty, and other business tort matters. Carole is experienced in all aspects of litigation, from pre-litigation counseling through appeal. She also has substantial experience in mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. Representative clients include: Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., California State Controller’s Office, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Inc., Shea Homes and Mission Viejo Company, Target Corp., Ralphs Grocery Co., El Torito Restaurants, Inc., and Playmates Toys. Carole has been named to the Best Lawyers in America® list for Intellectual Property Litigation and Commercial Litigation since 2013. In addition, she has been chosen as a “Super Lawyer” since 2019, an honor limited to only 5% of Southern California lawyers.
In addition to litigation, Carole regularly advises clients on other trademark matters, including trademark selection and use, registration of business and product names and logos, as well as infringement policing and domain name disputes.
Carole currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Public Law Center, Orange County’s provider of pro bono volunteer legal services, committed to providing access to justice for the County’s low income residents. She has handled several matters on a pro bono basis, including asylum, housing, and family law cases. She also provides pro bono trademark services for HomeAid America.
Carole has over 20 years of big firm experience. Prior to joining Umberg/Zipser, Carole was a partner at Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP, and before that was of counsel at Morrison & Forester LLP.
- University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, J.D.
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- State Bar of California
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Southern, Northern, and Eastern Districts of California
- Business Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Class Actions
- Unfair Competition Litigation
- Trademark Prosecution and Enforcement
- Representation of the California State Controller’s Office in a dispute with SAP Public Services, Inc. concerning the failed modernization of California’s state employee payroll and benefits system. The matter resulted in SAP’s payment of $59 million to the State of California.
- Prosecuting and defending contract, unfair competition, false advertising, product liability, and business tort actions for computer manufacturers.
- Partnership, fiduciary duty, real estate and contract actions for leading financial institutions, retailers, and real estate companies.
- Construction litigation matters for large developers to individual homeowners.
- Business tort actions for leading international and domestic companies, among many others.
- Representation of a leading restaurant chain in a high-profile trademark matter resolved successfully on summary judgment.
- Representation of a diverse group of clients including large retailers and consumer products manufacturers, real estate developers, computer software manufacturers, and multiple charitable organizations in trademark, trade secret, and copyright litigation.
- Representation of computer manufacturers in various consumer class actions involving claims of product liability, unfair competition, breach of warranty, and false advertising, and alleged statutory violations.
- Representation of numerous financial institutions in class actions alleging breach of contract, unfair competition, and regulatory claims.
- Representation of product manufacturers in various product liability and warranty claims.
- Representation of real estate developers in various construction-related class action claims.
- Orange County Bar Association, Judiciary Committee, Past Member
- Orange County Chapter of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Member/Former Editorial Board Member
- Public Law Center, Board of Directors
HONORS & AWARDS
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Intellectual Property, 2013–2021
- Southern California Super Lawyers, 2019-2021